Tasty! I loooove a great summer dessert that takes absolutely no heat to make. It is way too hot with this 25+ days of over 100 degrees to turn on the oven. Sure to thrill any coffee/chocolate lover.
For some reason my grocery store doesn’t always carry ladyfingers or mascarpone cheese, but my subsitutes of sponge cake slices and Neufchatel cheese (a low-fat and softer version of cream cheese) have worked extremely well. I’ve made this recipe three times now- once with ladyfingers, once with chocolate angel food cake (below pictures), and now once with store bought vanilla angel-food cake.
The recipe is called ‘Triple Chocolate Tiramisu’ but I think it has four:
- white chocolate
- bittersweet chocolate
- chocolate liqueur
- cocoa powder
Quadruple Chocolate Tiramisu
Recipe version from Liz Devlin’s Better Homes & Gardens – Pink Plaid Cookbook
Prep: 30 min, chill: 6 hrs (longer is better, but at least 3 needed), makes: 1 8x8x2 inch dish
- 2- 3oz packages ladyfingers, split (or a store-bought angel-food cake, these pics show chocolate flavor cake)
- 1/4 cup brewed espresso or strong coffee (for reals, this makes it amazing)
- 1- 8oz carton mascarpone cheese (can use low-fat cream cheese, at room temperature)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (could change it up with almond/hazelnut extract)
- 1/3 chocolate liqueur (i used Creme de Cacao)
- 1oz white baking chocolate squares, grated (from freezer) or finely chopped (i used a small food processor)
- 1oz bittersweet chocolate, grated (from freezer) or finely chopped
- unsweetened cocoa powder, for top dusting
- Line bottom of 8x8x2 inch dish with enough ladyfingers to cover. Cut to fit. Drizzle half of the espresso over ladyfingers.
- In medium mixing bowl beat mascarpone cheese, whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla with electric mixer just until stiff peaks form, standing straight up when lifting beaters from mixture), scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in chocolate liqueur until combined.
- Evenly spread half of the mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers layer. Sprinkle with mixed white and bittersweet chocolate crumbs.
- Add another layer of ladyfingers and drizzle remaining espresso. Spread remaining mascarpone mixture and top with more crumble chocolate and dust with cocoa powder.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for 6 to 24 hours. Flavors will meld through cake and cream filling with time.